The CoQ10 Experiment

I started taking CoQ10 about two days ago.  For the uninitiated, Coenzyme Q10 is a substance like a vitamin, that, among many things, claims to increase your energy. From asking around, CoQ10′s results have been mixed, with some claiming it’s a miracle, some saying it did nothing for them and some saying they felt a little bit better.

I am going to try it for 30 days, 1 pill a day, 200 mg.  Then I am going to go off it to see if I had been having any perceptible improvement with it.  I am going to try to keep an open mind.

Do you take CoQ10?  What, if anything, has it done for you?  What dose do/did you take and how often?

And if you have any advice for me, I’d be pleased for you to comment!

All of us with Chronic Fatigue, Lupus, Fibro, or whatever is making us feel like a truck hit us could sure use a miracle!

Emily Cullen is a pen-name. I suffer from chronic illnesses and diseases which include Asthma, Diabetes and Fibromyalgia. I had battled Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis but there is no longer evidence of me having these diseases and my Rheumatologist has declared them to be "burnt out" of my system. I am separated from my husband, “Grant”. Our son, “Tyler” was born in September of 2006 and suffers from tics and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and is delayed in fine and gross motor skills. In my blog I seek to let sick moms know that they are not the only ones going through this, and to educate people about what can happens when one becomes catastrophically ill. I also strive to break down stereotypes of what a “Welfare Mom” is like. Anything that I have gone through due to being sick, is written on the pages of Mama Sick.
Uncategorized, , , , Permalink

10 Responses to The CoQ10 Experiment

1. mer says:

i take it
    i dont know if it helps
    i take a gel thing though

2. I hope it works for you!

Prescription for Nutritional Healing is probably the best book I’ve seen on supplements. Try to find a copy to check what it says on CQ10. (The book does say it’s good for energy production but its therapeutic uses aren’t related to that at all.)

Also, Consumer Labs is a great website for supplements and tests brands for quality. I can email you the info if you aren’t subscribed to the site.

Have you thought about Alpha Lipoic Acid? It’s an antioxidant and I find it helps my energy quite a bit.

M

3. admin says:

Mer, I have never heard of it in a gel!

POP, Yes I have read CoQ10 has a lot of uses, more so for heart and blood pressure, if I remember. I would love for you to email me the information on Consumer Labs!

I have never heard of Alpha Lipoic Acid, but it might be next on my list if I do not have improvement from the CoQ10!

I trust real people far more than I do advertisements for products!

4. admin says:

Comment by amynluv

I can’t wait to find out if the CoQ10 works for you. Right now I take a multi, Vitamin D/calcium/Glucosime/Chondroitin for joints, and Ginko Bilboa/Omega-3s/B Vitamins to (hopefully) help with brain fog. I’m not really sure if any of it works. I haven’t heard of Alpha Lipoic Acid either, but I’ll look it up. I know on the About.com site for fibro they list a bunch of vitamins and herbs, well…for fibro. I imagine they do the same on the lupus site, as well.

Here is the site I was talking about on About.com’s fibro site: http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/treatingfmscfs/a/supplements.htm

Here is a site on Natural Treatments for Lupus on About.com:

In case you can’t tell, I really love About.com. I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience with CoQ10.

(This comment was re-submitted by me (Emily) b/c it went into my Spam Catcher and I deleted it!)

5. admin says:

I love about.com too. I’m going to sign up for the chronic fatigue site! Thanks for sharing all this information!

The brain fog is not too bad for me, more so annoying, but it would be more of a problem if I was working. Fatigue is the worst; at least I’ve got drugs for the pain but nothing has helped my fatigue – yet.

6. Andy says:

Hey, came to your blog from bydls. Love it.
    I’ve been on CoQ10 and ribose for about 2 weeks, and it’s made a big difference for me.
    Curious for an update… is it helping so far?

7. admin says:

First of all, thanks.

No Andy, it has not helped for me. I do not know about Ribose and if it is in my CoQ10 supplement.

What do you have? Fibro? CFS?

I might as well keep trying it, I have like 120 pills!

When I did an informal poll on BYDLS, it was like evenly split between improvement, some improvement and no improvement at all.

8. Andy says:

It’s so interesting, to me, to see the differences in what people respond to. It would be even more so if I could form coherent theories, but the brain fog prevents me from doing so!

I’ve read more about Ribose than the CoQ10. I started them at the same time, so it’s impossible to tell which one is helping. I take 300mg CoQ10 in the morning, and a tsp of Ribose 3x day.

I have CFS, and am working with an excellent naturopath, who is very much aware of all the cutting edge research on CFS/FM. These are such complex syndromes, and CFS at least, can present in such a variety of ways, that it’s not surprising that different people respond differently to any given medication.

Good luck with it! I hope it eventually does help you a bit.

9. emily says:

For whatever it’s worth, my rheum suspects me of having seronegative lupus, and I had a neuro start me on CoQ10 400mg t.i.d. (yes, 1200mg/day). It makes a clear difference. I stopped it for a week to see if I could stop taking it now that I’m on Plaquenil, and I’m very obviously better on the high dose CoQ10. It’s possible that 200mg isn’t enough for you. I’m going to attempt other dosing schedules for myself, because 1200mg/day is about $100/month.

10. teresa says:

I found this article doing a search on coQ10 for lupus. I haven’t tried it yet. But from what I’ve been reading, a daily dose of 1100-1300mg seems to be optimal. So I concur that perhaps your dose is too small to make a difference. But the reason why I was searching for articles like this was to determine if it’s worth the cost of the pills! As emily says, it can be pricey! but since emily is seeing good results, I might go ahead and try it. I am so tired of the brain fog and fatigue–especially in the mornings! It makes it hard for me to keep up with my work.