Over-scheduled

Ah, those lazy days of summer…relaxing by the pool, sleeping in, the ice cream man…

Not at my house.

Grant and I said we were never going to do this but we have over-scheduled Tyler.

Next week he starts camp at the ‘Y’. Then on Thursdays he sees his counselor and has yoga. On Saturdays he has Reading Camp and on Sundays he has swimming lessons. At the end of July he takes a week off regular camp to go to Soccer Camp. Then there’s homework from the Reading Camp and from the Occupational Therapist plus a “Don’t Forget Everything You’ve Learned This Summer” packet from his teacher.

I am exhausted just writing this! How did this happen? Well, Tyler is a bit behind in reading and he does not enjoy it so we thought the reading camp would be a good idea, and he needs to learn how to swim; plus he loves soccer…He’s going to need Yoga just to relax from all the other activities.

In over-scheduling Tyler, I realize that I have over-scheduled myself as well. How am I supposed to get him to these things on time??? I am fighting depression again, along with my other health issues, and with that comes a feeling of being overwhelmed. What am I going to pack him for lunch every day? Will I remember the sunscreen? How will I handle the extra laundry of bathing suits and wet towels?

School was a breeze compared to what this summer will be!

Are you a chronically ill mom who finds summer challenging? Have you over-scheduled yourself?

Or maybe you are a well mom who feels overwhelmed too and it really doesn’t matter what your health is like.

Please tell me I am not the only one!

Photo courtesy of moneysavingmom.com

Photo courtesy of moneysavingmom.com

Uncategorized, , , , , , , , , , Permalink

8 Responses to Over-scheduled

1. Jo says:

Not the only one
    Fighting depression here
    Living with the ex
    Boyfriend living close by
    Awaiting autism diagnosis for dd2 so have multiple activities going on
    Find myself filling my day with loads of things for the kids and then feeling overwhelmed by a couple of dirty plates in the sink.
    Lists lists and more lists only way I can remember and attempt to cope

Wow, Jo, that IS a lot! I can’t imagine having to do this for more than one child. Thanks for stopping by.

2. Lauren says:

The only way I can get through it all is to get as organized as I possibly can. I get extra swim suits, so if they get left in a balled up towel over night (or for a week), we don’t have to stress.

I make lunch menus and try my best to make myself make them at night (which rarely happens, but it is nice when it does).
    Related – I make dinner menus so I don’t have to hem and haw for 30 minutes trying to figure out what to throw in the pot to feed the crew.

And I set up alarms on my cell phone..15 and 10 minutes before we need to leave for someplace. Google calendar is awesome for that, with sending alerts and stuff for non-repeating events too. I’d never make it anywhere without that. I just can’t count on my memory any more :/

Anyhow….I’m still way worn out before I even get to work, never mind after I finish my day, but we _do_ make it through it!

I think I am going to pick up a fourth swim suit since Tyler will be swimming almost every day, Lauren. You sound super organized! I think once I do it a few times it will go smoothly. Today I learned in therapy to do one thing and then go on to the next thing, instead of being overwhelmed. If you have any lunch ideas I’d like to hear them!

3. Paris Golson says:

I know the feeling…Happens to all of us I guess, just try to make a small breaks and organize everything how much you can. I know it’s sounds so easy but we’ve to stand with ours heads up ! 🙂
    Paris Golson´s last blog post ..ochrona wizerunku w sieci

It’s going to get done whether I worry about it or not, Paris! I’m trying to relax and not only take one day at a time, take one thing at a time.

4. Ron Graves says:

I think at his age it’s a tad early to worry about Tyler’s reading skills especially if, as you say, he’s only a “bit behind”. He has lots of time to catch up naturally.

I think, too, that you’re in danger of wiping yourself out (as someone who is seriously ill I know just how easy that can be), which is a major concern, as is this – where is Tyler’s time to just be a little kid?

Not trying to guilt-trip you, but everyone needs some “me time”.
    Ron Graves´s last blog post ..A Fruit Cake Recipe . . .