Right Click Paste!

Writer's Workshop

Prompt: 2. Open a blank blog post and “right click paste” in the body of the post…what was pasted? Explain it.

Spoon Theory mentioned on MTV! http://www.mamasick.com/2015/03/the-spoon-theory-gets-a-mention-on-mtv/ … #SpooniesThankMTV

I am really happy that this was my last cut and paste because it gives me a chance to write about a subject that is meaningful to me and one that Mama Kat’s fans can learn about as well!

Earlier this week “The Spoon Theory” and Christine Miserandino were mentioned on MTV. Christine is the author of “The Spoon Theory and developed the website butyoudontlooksick.com This was BIG news!

As a person having invisible illnesses; diabetes, asthma and bipolar disease among them, the questions “But you don’t look sick?” or “How does it feel to be chronically ill?” came up often for me, even from some of my doctors until my diagnoses were made. I lost a lot of family and friends who just didn’t understand.

Then someone referred me to Christine’s website and her “Spoon Theory”. The theory is based on a true story developed by Christine when her best friend asked her what it was like to be sick. Basically it says that we all start our day with a certain number of spoons, but sick people use up their spoons more quickly than well people. For example, it might take a healthy person half a spoon to take a shower, but it may take a sick person three spoons. Many of us refer to ourselves as “Spoonies”.

“The Spoon Theory” has been read by thousands and seen throughout the world. The But You Don’t Look Sick’s ? Facebook page has over 130,000 likes on it.

If you know of someone with a chronic illness, or you have one, I encourage you to read “The Spoon Theory” and see Christine’s But You Don’t Look Sick’s website.

Personally “The Spoon Theory” helped saved my life and I owe Christine big time because of it! I’ve known her for over 14 years and I am pleased to say I knew her when she had a tiny blog with a little story!

Eat_For_England_Spoon_-_geograph.org.uk_-_711068

Uncategorized, , , , , , , , , , Permalink

11 Responses to Right Click Paste!

1. Kathy says:

I’m glad that you found something that worked for you and made a difference in your life. I’m sure that Christine appreciates that you raise your voice and spread her message.
    Kathy´s last blog post ..Blah!

2. Kimberly says:

I have to read that. I have bipolar disorder with a side of generalized anxiety disorder and chronic pain (my back is held together with metal and prayer).
    People don’t understand what we go through and it’s good to hear that someone has made an analogy to help people understand this. I’m excited to read it!
    Thanks!!
    Kimberly´s last blog post ..Chocolate Cake

3. carol says:

This was so interesting. I have been diagnosed with R.A., an autoimmune disease. I’m on medication for it, but it makes me wonder. How does R.A. get burned out of your system? I’d like to hear more about it. I’ll have to follow your advice and do some reading.

The way “burn out” was explained to me was that the medication that I was on did the “trick” and Lupus and RA were no longer in my system. Sure enough, I feel pain free! I hope we’ll hear more about “burn out” in the future!

4. That’s the first time I have heard of the Spoon Theory. What a great way to explain chronic illness, especially to children.
    Dyanne @ I Want Backsies´s last blog post ..It COULD Have Been A Bad Thing

5. mamasick says:

I’m glad you like the Spoon Theory, Diane, and you’re right, it is a great was to explain chronic illness to kids! Thanks for stopping by!

6. Jen says:

My mom had an inhalation injury at work several years ago and as a result, she has real difficulty breathing. You don’t notice it until she realize that she walks much more slowly than others…or when you have to make sure there are no plug-ins in the house or you don’t wear perfume or use strongly scented beauty products. I have gotten much more sensitive to those who are sick but don’t look like they are. It is a very difficult road to work.
    Jen´s last blog post ..Photo Friday- Vicksburg National Military Park

What your mom has is something known as an “invisible illness”, if you didn’t know the term. When you think about it, most illnesses and diseases are “invisible”. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Kat says:

A couple of years ago I came down with Fifths Disease…which sounds a lot worse than it is, but all of my joints were so sore that I felt like an old lady who literally could not get out of bed. I went to the dr. and they checked everything, but couldn’t determine what it was. I ended up getting the telltale red cheeks that come with Fifths and eventually it all passed like any virus. For a moment though, I really felt like no one believed me. I kept trying to explain to my husband why I couldn’t do anything, but without any sort of ‘proof’ he just had to believe that I was miserable. It was so frustrating. I’m glad there is more information becoming available about The Spoon Theory so that more people can feel validated for their experiences with their illnesses!
    Kat´s last blog post ..Easter Choc-Tail Cocktail