Things to Say and Not to Say to a Sick Person: Cheat Sheet!

I read a lot about what to say and what not to say to a person who is chronically ill.  There are lists and lists of “Do’s” and “Don’ts” and honestly, it seems like a lot to remember!

So, from my experience of being sick for nearly eight years, I thought I would just talk to you about the things people say to me, why it hurts me, and offer some suggestions about what you might want to say to your friends or loved ones instead.

If you have known me well for a long time and we talk a lot, please don’t keep asking me how I am feeling.  I have been sick for almost eight years, you don’t need to ask me how I am feeling any more. I’d much prefer something like “How are things?” or even “How are you doing?” You know, kind of what you say to your healthy friends?  If there is something new, good or bad, I will bring it up to you.

Please stop telling me to “Hang in There”.  I’ve been hanging for almost eight years, how much longer do you expect me to be able to hang for?

Now here’s what you CAN say to me.  I would really appreciate your honesty.  If you are my good friend or in my family, it’s okay if you say to me, in a heartfelt way, “I just don’t know what to say to you any more about you being sick”, and do you know what I would say?  “You don’t have to say anything.  Just be my friend, keep calling me, keep inviting me to your events, even if I can’t come, maybe sometimes I can.  Just talk to me like you would any person and if I want to share something with you about my illness I will.  Just keep believing me, and be my shoulder to cry on if I need you to.”

What can you do for me?  If you live close to me you can ask me if I need anything at the store because you are going, and for me going to the store can feel like climbing a mountain.  Ask me if I need something tidied up in my house. (I can’t remember the last time I cleaned my oven or my linen closet, I can barely keep up with the laundry.)

You can offer to cook a meal for me.  It is really hard for me to do, since I cannot stand, my hands hurt and I am exhausted.  You can offer to come and play with my son while I take a nap, he’s very nice, or to have a play date over at your place, with no reciprocation expected because I would not be able to do that.

And every so often, keep asking what you can do for me.  Because sometimes I am too proud or too sad to say, “Yes, I need your help”, but one day, I may just take you up on it.

I hope this helps people who have chronically ill friends and loved ones, and maybe gives them some insight about why we might bristle a little when you cheerily tell us to “Hang in there!”

11 Responses to Things to Say and Not to Say to a Sick Person: Cheat Sheet!

1. Josanne says:

Thank you for the information-I try to say the right things, or not say too much, but I’m sure I fail. I do ask people how they are feeling and doing, not because I am filling space, but because I really do care to know! One of my twitter friends has lupus, and her most recent updates on her health have made me wishing I could do something for her, but being 16 hours apart makes it not possible. I’ll try to remember tho-I certainly don’t want to offend by asking a question that hurts. Maybe it is the hope of those of us who are not in chronic pain to hear you say that you are having a very good, little pain day.
    Thanks again!
    .-= Josanne´s last blog ..A True- Modern Day Hero! =-.

2. Aviva says:

Eep. I have a bad habit of saying “Hang in there!” to people struggling through a flare. I’ll have to rethink that.

Isn’t it funny that there’s really no single universally correct thing to say to a chronically ill person?

Like you, I get so tired of having people ask how I’m feeling and pressing for an answer beyond the polite. The worst is when it’s from my parents, who will insist on an answer and then tell me they’d prefer not to know. Why the heck do they ask then?! Well, I know the answer to that, I guess: They keep hoping for a miracle that I’ll wake up one day perfectly healthy.

3. Kristin says:

I am involved with people who are going through transplants – heart, lung or liver transplants. My husband had a liver transplant 5 years ago, so that’s how I got involved.

A few days ago I got a call from someone who told me that she appreciated that I didn’t gasp every time I saw her. She said it was just such a comfort that I didn’t treat her with kid gloves and also didn’t ask her about her illness unless she talked about it first.

Many people who have liver disease have yellow eyes. I don’t even notice it anymore, but I’ve heard several people in our support group say that it’s nice to be able to sit in a room without the first question being “what’s wrong with your eyes?”

I wish more people would ask for help from their friends. The friends are usually trying desperately to figure out how to help but don’t have a clue how to without coming off as being a busy body.

Excellent advice and prayers to you.
    Kristin – The Goat
    via Saturday Samplings
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Hoarding and Flying =-.

4. Emily says:

Thanks so much for this post. One of my best friends has been suffering chronic pain for months, and sometimes it’s hard for me to know what to say. Thanks for the perspective 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my blog last week, I appreciated your comment 🙂
    .-= Emily´s last blog ..A Lifetime Learner =-.

5. I also have an invisible chronic illness and really appreciate this post. Thank you!
    Amy “Sparrow” Wiley´s last blog post ..A 2 Z: Queen of the Universe! Or not….

6. Along subsequent to the times, event developments have afterward developed throughout the world.
    The number of supplementary businesses that we don’t even know of exist because there are too
    many of them. Similarly, the gambling business, of course there are next many names of gambling agents that have sprung up.
    However, the emergence of these agents does not always
    allow a fine out of the ordinary for gamblers, both upscale and
    beginner gamblers. bearing in mind fittingly many gambling agents popping up, unconditionally not every agents can be trusted because too many gambling situation worlds desire to
    put up with more profits without thinking about the long-term impact.
    Both members and for their own business.

Ensuring Bandar Legality

Therefore ascribed agent2018 wants to offer an easy pretentiousness to locate a trusted gambling agent
    site. The take aim is that you can have an idea, how to handle the situation.
    similar to you are in a let in already trapped by fraud traps.
    Because we every know in that position it’s impossible to acquire out soon.
    You are along with complacent, therefore you are not familiar that you are still under the assume of fraud from irresponsible
    agents.

To locate out the credited gambling agent is no question easy, create distinct next you visit the gambling site, whether it’s a gambling site or similar,
    it’s a fine idea to question the customer encourage whether the site is recognized or not by asking for proof of ID number or member that can prove the existence of
    the site official soccer gambling is legitimate and viable to
    operate, usually an qualified online gambling site. Always has an office in the Philippines and is below the aegis of Cagayan or Pagcor, and has
    legal immunity and authority. Which is protected by the disclose of the Philippines,
    because the by yourself country in Asia that is
    skillful to have the funds for licenses for
    online gambling thing sites, is unaided in the Philippines.
    simple sufficient right? To find a trusted online soccer betting site.
    Agenresmi2018´s last blog post ..Agenresmi2018

7. Panduanjudi says:

Panduanjudi Login

Panduanjudi is a trusted and approved poker site from PKV games server.

We provide 9 types of later games that can be played using
    just one ID. The games we meet the expense of tally up poker, domino99, bandarq, aduq, sakong, bandar66 and
    plus capsa susun. In complement to having a large variety of games,
    http://www.Panduanjudi.com in addition to has several attractive promos that can be enjoyed directly after subconscious
    registered as a member. later than truth weekly cashback promos that
    are calculated from the total turnover, both winning
    and losing. moreover Panduanjudi in reality appreciate if there are members who invite contacts or relations to achievement
    upon our site by giving a referral bonus of 10% to 20% of
    the number of turnover downline invited to play.

To be the best poker site, Panduanjudi is always a
    pain to increase our services to be competent to have enough money the best experience in playing
    poker at our place. One of the ways is the Gambling
    guide provides a means of payment that reaches all elements of Indonesian society.
    By on the go afterward leading banks and long-suffering
    Simpati and XL story deposits. As skillfully as which players can create deposits using E-wallets
    such as GoPay, OVO and Funds. further than those mentioned above, of course
    there are nevertheless advantages in Panduanjudi to torment yourself to become the
    best poker sites such as:
    Panduanjudi´s last blog post ..Panduanjudi

8. Hеya tbis is kinda of off topic but I wwas wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editopгs or if yyou һavе to mаnuzlly coɗe wit HTМL.
    I’m starting a blog ѕoon but have no colding know-һow
    so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experiеnce. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Feel free to surf tto my һomepage; awl settlement
    awl settlement´s last blog post ..awl settlement

9. At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming again to read further news.

My homepage bandar judi bola terbaik
    bandar judi bola terbaik´s last blog post ..bandar judi bola terbaik

10. b2bco.com says:

This tеҳt is priceless. When can I find out more?

Allso visit my blog post … AWL settlement (b2bco.com)
    b2bco.com´s last blog post ..b2bco.com

11. The way to Register for the Userbolavip Account

To be able to register as a part about the Userbolavip web site, the method will be very easy, the first step a
    person have to carry out is visit the official website or even through
    the newest alternative link offered by Userbolavip: Bukauserbolavip.
    apresentando

Via the option link above an individual will go
    directly to the main page and in the upper correct corner,
    click the ‘REGISTER’ button to get into the registration page.
    Then you may locate a page along with several fields that
    must be completed with your private data completely in addition to correctly.

After producing sure that almost all fields are filled in effectively in addition to correctly, complete typically the registration process
    by simply pressing the ‘REGISTER’ button which
    can be from the bottom regarding the registration web page.

Within a short while you will get confirmation the
    account you created will be active.

Userbolavip Online game Login

After enrolling, you will obtain a person ID in addition to password which you can use
    in order to log into the sport. To do so, return to the principle web page
    from the userbolavip internet site including the best you will find two columns that the username
    and password.

Enter your username and password in both fields and press typically the sign in key close to them.
    Once successful, you will certainly be able in order to access
    online gambling games provided by Userbolavip.
    http://www.bukauserbolavip.com´s last blog post ..http://www.bukauserbolavip.com